Monday, May 1, 2017

Fresh Perspective



Not long ago was “Semana Santa” (Holy Week) and many made the pilgrimage to the Basilica in the city of Cartago.  As for me (Paul), I have been making my own pilgrimage, in a way, with a refreshing review of the Gospel with the help of the book Gospel Wakefulness by Jared C. Wilson. 

Julian and I installing a hallway door.
It's not hard to experience burnout here as I am continually aware of things that need repair or some revision at the center.  Living where you work can be so convenient since there is really no “commute,” but the enthusiasm to move ahead on projects can sometimes evaporate and leave me a little numb in regard to the role I fill here.  What helps me to maintain a greater perspective and appreciation for the role I play is to take the time to reach out and help with other projects related to our mission association.

Spraying the Dental Clinic.
Each of us has had opportunity to share the Gospel on a regular basis as a result of some activity or project.  For example, Bridget teaches English five days a week (she could teach seven) or she works with the ladies at the restaurant on a new recipe.  When I'm not locked in here at the center you may find me up at Greiven's (pronounced: Grey-bin) shop helping with cars or at Rebekah’s dental office spraying to keep the cockroach population away.  People in Costa Rica are curious and always want to know the reason for us being here (or some related subject) and their questions are the byproduct of the relationships we are building with these wonderful people.

Friends I pray with. (I'm taking the photo.)
Greiven's story is really interesting and I am eager to share with you in greater detail in the next blog, but the emphasis I want to make at this point is that the Gospel is relevant all year.  Not just the week leading up to and including Easter.  It is refreshing every day as we go about our daily lives in between each year's Easter celebration.  I'll be the first to admit that there have been times in the 38 years I've been a Christian when words like “dull”, “boring”, or “dry”, were no strangers to me in my journey. Now, I encourage anyone interested, to look afresh at what is so captivating about the Good News and the great offer provided by God the Father through His Son Jesus. 


Pray we continually apply the Gospel to our lives and share its relevance with our friends. 

In His service
Paul and Bridget


No comments:

Post a Comment