Friday, December 23, 2022

Christmas 2022

Merry Christmas from Dallas, Oregon!

These four months in the US have been spent with our family and friends and we are very grateful for the encouragement and hospitality many of you have shown us. Much is new in the US, and we have found the time taken to process what we are seeing and hearing, with the help of others, is significant in helping us to find our bearings concerning God’s direction for the next season of our lives. One thing that is certain is who we are in respect to Christ Jesus. Despite all the cultural challenges we encounter, we can be secure in knowing that Jesus is faithful to guide us through each day.

As for a ministry for us, we have found there is no shortage of places to get involved. We have been shown many in the region, as well as one in Alaska and one in Africa. One ministry field that keeps coming up on my (Paul’s) radar is Member Care. This field includes people like myself, who have been involved in ministry for many years, coming alongside people who are in isolated ministry positions and/or experiencing any number of challenges related to their vocation. Organizational and personal expectations, living in different cultures, maybe a new language, and sick family members, are just a few of the stressors that have the potential to derail a pastor or missionary.

We were blessed that our time in Costa Rica was fruitful (despite two hospital stays), but there are many whose experience, here or overseas, is much different and who could use a little help sorting through issues they face. Taking stock of my years in ministry helped me decide to pursue more training in order to better serve those feeling overwhelmed. Back in the early 80’s, I attended Columbia Bible College. They are now Columbia International University and offer a Masters in Care and Counseling (member care) in their graduate school. Recently I talked to the program director and she said my background, personality, and gifting are a good fit. I was just accepted into the program and will begin in January! The classes are online and designed to allow students the freedom to pursue ministry/work while completing the coursework. I had not anticipated a return to school after Costa Rica, but honestly, I am excited to have this opportunity to attend a great school and improve my skills.

I am currently in the process of writing this newsletter and have more exciting news! I have talked with a ministry in the US about the possibility of getting involved with them. I am filling out an application and will be interviewed in the coming weeks. Please pray with us and the leaders of this ministry that God shows us His clear direction. I will share more as details become available so be sure to stay tuned! God is obviously at work and Bridget and I are both encouraged.

Information on how to make a donation is on our blog https://paulnbridget-thejourney.blogspot.com/p/donate.html .

To God be the glory!

Paul and Bridget Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment