Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Doctor, Visit, and Home Again

Beautiful day at Red Fish Lake

Greetings everyone.  Finally taking time to share about my (Paul’s) trip to the U.S. in April and some events between then and now.

 Last year medical appointments were hard to come by because the Covid pandemic overwhelmed the health care system in Costa Rica.  I felt a little desperate concerning my chronic pain and inflammation as it was affecting my ability to carry on ministry. I was able to contact the VA hospital in Boise, Idaho (Our son and my sister live in Boise.) and make appointments.  Knowing dates and time, I purchased tickets and navigated the regulations for leaving one country and entering another.  The bureaucracy is not difficult but it takes time and patience.  The hard part for me was having the Covid nasal rapid-test swab performed the day before the flight, but I wasn’t worried about the results as Bridget and I came down with Covid last December during Christmas vacation.

You’ve probably heard horror stories concerning VA hospitals but the hospital in Boise is rated among the top five in the country and I received excellent care.  While I was being tended to in Boise, Bridget was hosting a group at our mission center in Costa Rica.  This wasn’t the preferred plan but the group was added after making appointments in Boise and purchasing tickets. At the time the group departed I had around 13 days left in the US so our kids and I made plans for Bridget to join me in Boise.  The day after Bridget’s arrival we picked up our daughter Kelly and our granddaughter Irely at the airport who came to visit us for a few days. Unfortunately, our oldest daughter Joy and her husband Patrick were not able to come, but we took advantage of the excellent Internet and had some good video chats. 

 I’ll spare you a bunch of other details but want to mention some highlights during the rest of our time.  We especially enjoyed meeting Lance’s girlfriend and her parents. We stayed with my sister, took her to Red Fish Lake and celebrated Mother’s Day together. We spent a weekend with a good friend who was a groomsman in our wedding.  He was also instrumental in introducing me to Jesus Christ over 40 years ago.

Grandpa time!

After two weeks in Boise, we returned to Costa Rica and I began to take a closer look at the results of the medical tests and the recommendations of the health professionals in Boise.  I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you that I believe the Lord helped me to figure out a strategy for moving forward.  First, I researched what causes pain from inflammation.  Several causes were discovered but the one most easily addressed was reducing my sugar intake.  Sugarcane is produced here and is in everything.  Typical Costa Rican cuisine is also full of carbohydrates, starches, fruit sugars, etc. For the first two weeks, preferring a slow transition, I eliminated extra sugar, pastry, cakes, and related items.  I have gradually made other changes and now, three months into this diet, I am minus the majority of pain caused by inflammation and feeling better, as well as 10 pounds lighter. Encouraged is the understatement.

Floor renovation at the mission center

Here at the mission center we are in the middle of a big project - renovating the floor in the main building. The ceramic tiles were cracking in the main room so all the tiles were removed. Now improvements to the sub-floor are being made. Food production on the farm continues and there is a monthly crop of bananas and plantain to share with folks. I think I finally “Otter proofed” my Tilapia pond.  Otters are smart, strong, resourceful, and hungry.  I’ve enough survivors to increase my fish population for harvesting later in the year.

 

Our neighbor the river otter

Bridget is busy as well and the Lord continues to bless and inspire her.  It is exciting!  We won’t include it here but you will be hearing from her soon concerning what is on her plate!

 Blessings, Paul and Bridget

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Nice post. After checking out a few of the articles on your web site, I seriously like your technique of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Please visit my web site Journeyessence.com. Best sacral cranial therapy service provider.

    ReplyDelete